How does Ghotit Dyslexia Keyboard App for iPad and iPhone work?
The keyboard for dyslexia and dysgraphia assistance is an integrated writing and reading solution comprising several advanced adaptive technologies tailor-made for people with dyslexia, dysgraphia and other learning disabilities. It helps children and adults with dyslexia and dysgraphia to write, read and correct texts.
Ghotit Quick Spell Word-Prediction is a state-of-art technology designed for writers with typing issues and phonetic/creative writers; this technology increases writing speed and successfully predicts intended words with instant correction of the first misspelled letters.
Ghotit’s patented technology provides the most appropriate corrections for spelling, grammar and punctuation mistakes according to the intended meaning of a text.
Read more about recently added features on our blog:
New Features of Dyslexia Keyboard App
What does Ghotit Dyslexia Keyboard App include?
• Quick-Spell Word-Prediction with instant correction for creative/phonetic writers
• Context-sensitive and phonetic spell checker
• Corrector of confused words including homophones
• Grammar and punctuation corrector
• An effective proofreader
• Speak as you write (speech feedback)
• Integrated dictionary
• Reading assistance with dual highlighting
• Dictation to any app
• “Floating Keyboard” mode on iPadOS-13 and up
Which iPad and iPhone devices are supported?
The keyboard works on any iPad or iPhone with iOS-10 and up.
How to setup the keyboard?
After downloading the app from the iTunes iOS App Store
in line with Apple’s practices for adding a new custom keyboard, do the below steps:
• Open the Settings and go down to General. Tap Settings.
• Scroll down and tap “Keyboard”.
• In menu “Keyboard”, tap the top entry “Keyboards”.
• Tap “Add New Keyboard”.
• Select “Dyslexia Keyboard”.
• Tap “Dyslexia Keyboard – Dyslexia Keyboard Ghotit”
• In “Allow Full Access”, move the switch to the right to Allow.
• Open up some editor or text area to write some text.
• Long tap the Globe icon on the Apple’s keyboard for the menu of keyboards to appear, and then select from the menu Dyslexia Keyboard. Alternatively, tap the Globe icon on your software keyboard until Dyslexia Keyboard appears.
• If you do not hear text-to-speech voice when reading aloud or tapping predicted words, please check that Full Access in “Allow Full Access” is enabled as described above and voice of your iPad/iPhone has not been muted in Settings or by a Side-Switch of the device.
Does Dyslexia Keyboard require an Internet connection?
Spelling and grammar correction does require Internet connection. All other features are working offline.
Which English dictionaries does Dyslexia Keyboard support?
Australian, Canadian, US and UK English.
How to use the keyboard Word-Prediction?
• Single-Tapping a Predicted Word, reads it aloud.
• Long-Tap-and-Release gesture provides descriptions/explanations for most words.
• To select a Predicted Word, Double-Tap it or Swipe it left or right.
• You can change the above behavior in the keyboard Settings (see below) by enabling “Tap to Select Prediction”. Thus, Single-Tap will select a Predicted Word whereas Double-Tap or Swipe could be used to read it aloud.
How can I change the keyboard Settings?
• To access the keyboard Settings, tap the Globe and Settings Icon.
• Following tap, appears the popup with the Settings Icon and current English Dictionary selected.
• Tap the Settings Icon.
• Change the Settings. Among other functions, you can choose the English Dictionary (US, UK, CA or AU) to be appropriate for your usage/location. Speech Rate and some other options could be also adjusted.
How to use the keyboard for Spelling and Grammar Correction?
• To correct a paragraph, place the cursor somewhere in the middle of its first sentence.
Pay attention not to select words.
• Tap the ABC button and wait a few seconds. The sentence appears with:
– Red-underlined misspelled words
– Blue-underlined suspected misused words
– Green-underlined suspected grammar errors
• Get more information on Suggested words
Tap the underlined words and get for each one Correction Suggestions appearing from the right.
Tap a Suggestion to read it aloud and, optionally, tap the Description area to read aloud explanations
or usage examples for that Suggestion.
• Select a Suggestion.
To select a Suggestion, Double-Tap or Swipe it.
• Apply the corrections.
Further tap another underlined word and correct it.
When done, apply the corrected sentence by tapping button “V” and waiting for a couple seconds
till the corrected paragraph/sentence replaces the original.
• If you do not want to correct something, just tap the Back button with keyboard image.
• To correct sentence-by-sentence instead of by paragraphs, disable “Correct Paragraphs” in Settings.
How to read a phrase out loud?
• To read a sentence aloud, place the cursor somewhere in the middle of the sentence.
Pay attention not to select words.
• Tap the Speaker button.
• Text is read aloud.
• To return back, tap the Back button with keyboard image.
How can I turn off Speech Feedback?
When writing a text, Dyslexia Keyboard by default reads aloud each word written.
That could be changed in Dyslexia Keyboard Settings by disabling the “Speak As I Write” switch.
How to read out loud descriptions of words?
• Place a cursor at a word, but do not select it.
• Tap the Descriptions button.
• The descriptions are read aloud.
• For a Predicted Word, get descriptions by Long-Tap-and-Release gesture on the button where the Predicted Word appears.
How to configure another font for the keyboard?
First, enable Gill Sans keyboard font in the keyboard Settings and restart the app where you are writing: put it to background and swipe it out. Next, run the app again and use Dyslexia Keyboard with Gill Sans fonts.
How to dictate to apps using the keyboard?
Long-press the microphone image located on the space bar button of Dyslexia Keyboard.
The dictation page appears; tap there the black microphone button and dictate. When the dictation time-slot expires with the progress bar reaching its limit, tap the black microphone button once more and dictate for one more time-slot. When done, return back to your app and insert the dictated text by tapping the button “Apply the Dictated Text”.
Where is the place to order the app?
What is the difference between Dyslexia Keyboard and Ghotit Real Writer for iPad?
Dyslexia Keyboard App is a custom iOS keyboard working with other apps like editors, text areas of browsers, social networks, etc. apps on iPad and iPhone.
Ghotit Real Writer for iPad (“Dyslexia Editor”) is an Editor by itself providing simple word-processing functions with the same set of assistive features as Dyslexia Keyboard and creating an attention concentrating environment; it is very helpful for children and adults with severe dyslexia/dysgraphia.
Is there an option to order a bundle of Ghotit Apps for iPad?
Where I can get more information about Ghotit and its services?
How to contact Ghotit Support Team?
Contact by email: support at ghotit.com