Examples of Grammar and Spelling Dyslexia Errors

Posted by admin in dyslexia-assistive-technology | Ghotit Blogs

Not all people are familiar with dyslexics and their spelling. Here are some examples personally hand-written by my “dyslexic” self.

You can correct “dyslexic” text with Ghotit

1.      Cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg.
Couldn’t believe that I could actually understand what I was reading

2.      Amzanig huh yaeh and I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt.
Amazing how you and I always thought spelling was important.

3.      Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dont mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae.
According to research at Cambridge University, it doesn’t matter in what order the letters in a word are, the only important thing is that the first and last letter be in the right place.

4.      My wife birthday data.
My wife’s birthday date.

5.      I realy hade o good time in the party lest nith.
I really had a good time in the party last night.

6.      I’m work on it. There is not mach I can do.
I’m working on it. There is not much I can do.

7.      Socheal networking is all about conecting pepole to there pears and too there famalys.
Social networking is all about connecting people to their peers and to their families.

8.      I want to the carpanter and asked hi to billed me a woden closet with a big mirror and speachieal drawers to put my showas.
I went to the carpenter and asked him to build me a wooden closet with a big mirror and special drawers to put my shoes.

9.      Whin I waz gust a litle buy I axed my moder what wuld I be?
When I was just a little boy I asked my mother what will I be?

10.  If I was rich, I would travel ar ound the world.
If I were rich, I would travel around the world.

Additional examples

Regular spell checkers are simply not designed to correct such bad spelling. Added intelligence is required for spell checkers targeting the dyslexic community. After many disappointments from regular spell checkers who simply could not correct my writing, I started a company called Ghotit whose specific goal is to intelligently decipher a dyslexic’s persons spelling… If you are dyslexic, give Ghotit a try…

If you would like to add your specific dyslexic writing examples to the list above, just write it in a comment.

You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 You can leave a response, or trackback.

7 Responses

• Julie says:

Please develop Ghotit to be compatible with mac. Looks like a great product, just wish it worked with my computer. I find google to be my most helpful spell check, but can still spend 10 minutes or more trying to find the spelling of a specific word.

• ghotit says:

Hi,

We will update you once we have a mac working version.

The Ghotit spell checker was designed to facilitate the spell checking process of dyslexics, and includes unique natural language processing algorithms in order to understand what the writer actually meant to write.

Thanks for your vote of confidence,

Ofer

• Mary says:

I never been tested for Dyslexia and I am 50 something years old but, I have notices in this past few years and working in my past jobs that I been graded poorly on writing and job performance. Reading I can do but they have to be something interesting in a job. I have the anxiety in writing and I struggle to complete my tasks because of it. The problem I have is comprehension with writing to make the reader understand what I’m writing about. From the brain to my writing, I struggled with it. I also struggled with numbers too. Then I started researching my past and remembering my third grade teacher telling my parents, how poorly I did in reading, writing and arithmetic. I even had a hard time throughout my educational years but I passed through it until now.
    I never had any problem with computers, arts, creating ideas, cook, remembering details, hand on jobs, working with people and getting things done, but it’s the writing and getting my ideas down is my problem. Handwriting my thoughts is my struggle. I’m a good worker but, I’m not good in writing them down and being on time in doing a tasks.
    I been laid-off and I am struggling to find a job that doesn’t require a lot of writing and numbers. When I started finding a jobs, I took any kind of job but I mostly landed being as Administrative Assistant. It was not something I wanted to do but that is the only profession job I know.
    How can I change this and how can I be successful doing the things that a dyslexia can enjoy and love working on? I would like to build my self-esteen and my admiration to Richard Branson and Einstein which I hope to be.

• Neill says:

Hello

Yes I would really love a MAC version

Neill

• admin says:

Thanks, it is in our plans… but currently we do not support MAC…